Today, we returned to a local favorite and one of my most hiked mountains, Mount Zircon in Rumford. However, we made a small detour on the way up that I hadn't done before to the old Mount Zircon Reservoir. The trail to the reservoir diverges to the right from the main trail, following a grassy track. Because of the grass, I would probably not hike this trail during peak tick season. After heading downhill for a bit, the trail reaches the dam. The reservoir, now with a much lower water level than when it was in use, is a beautiful spot! It is nestled in a basin surrounded by Thurston Mountain, Hemingway Mountain, Mount Glines, Mount Zircon, and Little Mount Zircon, all of which are visible from the dam. The lowered water level has created a meadow surrounding the water; and the water intake tower has a castle-like appearance. I am very glad that we made the short detour to visit this unique spot!
 |
| Mount Zircon Reservoir |
 |
| Mount Zircon Reservoir |
 |
| Bridge to the intake tower |
 |
| Spring & spring house |
After our detour, we continued up to the summit. One of my favorite things about Mount Zircon is that there are so many viewpoints near the summit, all facing different directions. I like to choose a different one to linger at each time I hike it. Today, we chose a viewpoint looking northeast towards Rumford and the Androscoggin River Valley. It was a spectacular clear day with a cool breeze at the summit and excellent views. We did see a few other people out on the trail, but it wasn't too busy.
 |
| View northeast |
 |
| View northwest |
 |
| View west |
 |
| View south |
No comments:
Post a Comment